New Zealand Literature Translation Fund
Guidelines and Criteria
Creative New Zealand supports the translation of New Zealand literature into foreign languages with the Translation Fund scheme which is administered by the Publishers Association of New Zealand. These grants can contribute up to 50% of the translation cost to a maximum of 5,000 NZD per title.
The Translation Fund is one of the opportunities administered by the Publishers Association of New Zealand (PANZ) as part of a Contract for Services with Creative New Zealand to deliver Capability Building and International Market Development Initiatives for Literature 2015 – 2018. You can download an application form online or contact a representative for more information.
We welcome new applications twice a year. Deadlines for application rounds are:
- 5pm, 28 February
- 5pm, 31 August
Applicants will be notified of the results of their application within six weeks of the closing date.
- Any established foreign publisher purchasing foreign language rights who has an active backlist of no less than four titles. No more than two grants per year will be given to any one publisher.
- Sales and translation contracts must be completed and signed at time of application.
- The translation must be prior to printing stage at time of application.
- Priority will be given to applications that demonstrate alignment with Creative New Zealand’s other international market development activities
Eligible genres include:
- biography and autobiography
- children’s fiction excluding picture books
- narrative non-fiction
- literary criticism
NB: Non-fiction projects will be assessed on their literary merit and their contribution to the development of New Zealand literature.
The application process is simple and is completed by emailing required documents to email@example.com. The following documents must be attached:
- fully completed application form (download)
- a signed licence agreement
- a signed translator’s contract
- a copy of the translator’s CV
- an 8-10 page translation sample of the work in the application (along with the corresponding passage in English)
- a publisher profile
- up to one page outlining marketing and publicity plans for the title
Applications are considered twice a year and we aim to have decisions advised within six weeks of the given deadline. Grant decisions are made by an assessment panel made up of representatives from Creative New Zealand, the Publishers Association of New Zealand, the New Zealand Book Council and the New Zealand Centre for Literary Translation. Decisions are advised by email and successful applicants are required to sign a letter of agreement.
Applications are open to everybody who meets the eligibility criteria. When evaluating applications, particular weighting may be given to applications which offer larger potential readerships due to:
- potential audience in the territory
- publisher size and or reputation
- publisher marketing investment
- Creative New Zealand strategic objectives
Grant payment is made on receipt of three print copies of the translated edition, complete with Creative New Zealand logo and acknowledgement text on the copyright page of the book, and submission of an invoice.
Successful applicants will be required to provide follow-up information on the number of copies sold, as well as any comments on their involvement with the scheme.
For further information or to enquire about submitted applications please contact:
Katherine Shanks, Membership Services Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Publishers Association of New Zealand PO Box 102 006, North Shore 0745 New Zealand