Welcome to the Publishers
Association of New Zealand
PANZ represents book, educational and digital publishers in New Zealand. The book publishing industry publishes over 2,000 New Zealand titles each year and turns over an estimated $330 million a year. Our members include both the largest international publishers and a vibrant independent publishing community.
What We Do
PANZ is fully focused on assisting its members with their present business and preparing them for the future. An important part of PANZ’ role is to represent publishers’ interests to industry and government.
What We Offer
Our members receive subsidised and often free training opportunities for all staff, regular networking events, the opportunity to participate in mentorship and internship programmes, export advice, reduced rates to exhibit at the Frankfurt Book Fair and Taipei International Book Exhibition plus advocacy expertise. PANZ manages a fund for the translation of New Zealand titles into foreign languages and an international promotional fund to support New Zealand authors to engage in international promotional events or activity. We welcome applications for new members.
PANZ places a strong emphasis on export, offering members training seminars and the opportunity to showcase their books at international book fairs. In recent years both Creative New Zealand and Education New Zealand have been supporters and funders of these initiatives. PANZ manages a collective stand for New Zealand Publishers at both the Frankfurt Book Fair and Taipei International Book Exhibition. In February 2015 New Zealand was the Guest of Honour at the Taipei International Book Exhibition which resulted in significant benefits to our members.
The PANZ Book Design Awards are managed by the Publishers Association of New Zealand (PANZ) to promote excellence in, and provide recognition for, the best book design in New Zealand. The competition is judged in seven categories: Best Children’s Book, Best Illustrated Book, Best Non-Illustrated Book, Best Educational Book, Best Cookbook, Best Typography, and Best Cover. A winner for the highly coveted Best Book is chosen from the shortlist. A further award goes to the Young Designer of the Year. To view the latest winners please visit: www.bookdesignawards.co.nz
Join PANZ Today
Here are some of the benefits.
- Members rates for workshops and PANZ Conferences
- International training opportunities
- Opportunity to partake in the PANZ Mentor Programme
- Regular networking events
- Advocacy expertise for us to work with appropriate government departments on industry issues
- Access to funding for export initiatives
- Export advice and members rates to exhibit at the Frankfurt Book Fair and other international book fairs
- Reduced entry fees for entering PANZ Book Design Awards
- PANZ representation on the Book Awards Governance Group (BAGG)
- PANZ representation on the Copyright Licensing New Zealand board
- The opportunity to participate in the intern programme managed by PANZ and funded by Creative NZ
To find out more about how PANZ can work for you, contact Catriona Ferguson,
Or complete our simple application form.